The genesis of proportionality: from the idea to the general principle of law
AbstractThe article involves discovering of the genesis of the idea of proportionality from the idea to the general principle of law. The purpose is to discuss the questions of the origin of this principle, its backgrounds and content of its ideas. Upon examination, this research highlights, that the principle of proportionality is a general principle of law which is an integral element of the legal system and is intended to ensure the rule of law. It is undeniable that the principle of proportionality has passed a long way in its formation and development. Over the centuries, reflecting the objective reality through the prism of different approaches to legal thinking, the idea of proportionality has been developing and finding its new manifestations. The findings may be useful for studying the implementation of the principle of proportionality, in particular in the field of protection of human rights and freedoms, in various legal systems.
2. Allgemeines Landrecht für die Preußischen Staaten . (2013, March 3). Retrieved April 22, 2020, from https://opinioiuris.de/quelle/1623
3. Andreeva, O.I. (2004) Sootnoshenie prav i obyazannostey gosudarstva i lichnosti v pravovom gosudarstve i spetsifika ego proyavleniya v sfere ugolovnogo sudoproizvodstva (teoreticheskiy aspekt) [The ratio of the rights and responsibilities of the state and the individual in a state of law and the specifics of its realisation in criminal justice (the theoretical aspect)]. Tomsk: Tomsk State University.
4. Aristotle. Nicomachova etica [Nicomachean ethics]. Translated from ancient Greek. Moscow, (1983), vol. 4.
5. Bill of Rights . (1978, February 1). Retrieved April 22, 2020, from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/WillandMarSess2/1/2/contents.
6. Code of Conduct for Law Enforcement Officials. (1979, December 17). Retrieved April 24, 2020, from https://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/LawEnforcementOfficials.aspx.
7. Cohen-Eliya, M. & Porat, I, American Balancing and German Proportionality: The Historical Origins (September 23, 2008). 8(2) I-Con: International Journal of Constitutional Law 263 (2010). Retrieved 22.04.2020 from the World Wide Web: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1272763.
8. Cohen-Eliya, M. & Porat, I. The American Journal of Comparative Law Vol. 59, No. 2 (spring 2011), pp. 463-490.
9. Fosskule, A. (2015) Printsip sorazmernosti [The principle of proportionality]. Sravnitel’noe konstitutsionnoe obozrenie, 1(104), pp. 159-163.
10. Hugo Grotius, The Rights of War and Peace, including the Law of Nature and of Nations (New York: M. Walter Dunne, 1901). Retrieved April, 22, 2020, from the World Wide Web: https://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/553.
11. Konstytutsiia Ukrainy [The Constitution of Ukraine]. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady (1996), № 30, Art. 141.
12. Magna Charta. (n.d.) A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. (1856). Retrieved from https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Magna+Charta.
13. Mayer, O (1895) Deutsches Verwaltungsrecht [German Administrative Law], 1. BD, p. 267.
14. Mikhailov A. (2016) The Principle of Proportionality: essence, practices of the European Court of Human Rights, Constitutional Court of The Russian Federation and importance for improvement of the system of proof in the modern criminal process in Russia. Ugolovnaya Yustitsiya – Russian Journal of Criminal Law, 1(7), pp. 56−69.
15. Osnovy Prava Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu Normatyvni Materialy [Fundamentals of European Union law: normative materials]. general ed. M.V. Buromensky. Kharkiv: Pravo, 2015, p. 328.
16. Pohrebniak, S.P. (2009) Osnovopolozhni pryntsypy prava [Fundamental principles of law] [Doctoral Dissertation, Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University]. p. 443.
17. Pravo Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu Osnovy Teorii Pidruchnyk [The law of the European Union: the basics of theory: a textbook] general ed. I.V. Yakoviuka. Kharkiv: Pravo, 2019, p. 360.
18. Radbruch, G. (1915) Vvedenie v nauku prava [Introduction to the science of law]. Translated from German by M.M. Ostrovskaya & I.Z. Steinberg. Moscow: Trud.
19. The Constitution of the United States. (n.d.). Retrieved April 22, 2020, from https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution.
20. The digest of Justinian / translation edited by Alan Watson. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1998. Retrieved April 24, 2020, from URL: http://nbls.soc.srcf.net/files/files/Civil%20II/Texts/Digest%20of%20Justinian,%20Volume%201%20(D.1-15).pdf
21. The European Council. (2005) Rekomendatsiya Komiteta Ministrov Soveta Evropy ot 20 aprelya 2005 g. №REC 2005 (10) Ob “Osobykh metodakh rassledovaniya” tyazhkikh prestupleniy, v tom chisle terroristicheskikh aktov” [The Council of Europe Committee of Ministers on April 20, 2005, №REC 2005 (10) On “Special investigative techniques for serious crimes, including terrorist acts”. Retrieved April 24, 2020, from http://docs.pravo.ru/document/view/18964083/16731365/.
22. Weber, M. (1924) Diskussionerede zu dem Vortag von H. Kantorowicz Rechtwissenschaft und Soziologie [Discussion Speech by H. Kantorowicz Law and Sociology], Gesammelte Aufsatze zur Soziologie und Sozialpolitik, pp. 477-481.
Abstract views: 4 PDF Downloads: 4