The use of role-play as a model of teaching palliative care to interns in general medical practice
AbstractContemporary medical higher education, especially the postgraduate training of physicians, requires a creative teaching approach to train a competent health care professional. The use of interactive role-play teaching method assists in strengthening the link between practical and theoretical skills, which is especially relevant in teaching of palliative medicine. The paper is aimed at evaluation of the possibility of improving the effectiveness of the training of medical interns, using the role-play technique. To evaluate the impact of such interactive teaching methods as role- play in teaching of palliative care, we analyzed the effectiveness of teaching of 162 interns from 2014 to 2020. Subgroup I (n=82) involved medical interns who had in-class experience with role play technique. Subgroup II (n=80) involved interns for whom role-play teaching approach was not utilized. The findings of the analysis have revealed that the use of role-play teaching model in Subgroup I increased the academic success rate of interns to 94.7% (p≤0.05) in contrast to 81.3% (p≤0.2) in Subgroup II. Moreover, interns of Subgroup I rated the work of the teacher higher (8.2 points), compared to Subgroup II, where the score was 6.9 points. Therefore, the use of role-play as one of the interactive teaching methods in the postgraduate training of interns can improve the basic knowledge in patient care management in both theoretical and practical part of the training, which further improves professional progress and necessitates greater use of this method of interactive training in the postgraduate study.
2. Guseinova Z.K., Tauesheva Z.K., Mandybaeva M.K. Osobennosti innovacionnyh metodov obucheniya u vrachej internov-terapevtov 6 kursa specialnosti «obshaya medicina» [Peculiarities of innovative methods of training for the interns-therapists of the 6th course of the specialty "general medicine], Mezhdunarodnyj zhurnal eksperimentalnogo obrazovaniya, Moskva, 2018, vol.4. – рр. 25-31.
3. Ly`senko O. Interakty`vni metody` navchannya u pislyady`plomnij pidgotovci likarya [Interactive teaching methods in postgraduate physician training], The Pedagogical process: theory and practice, Kyiv, 2016, vol.2. - рр. 50-53.
4. Zhdan V.M., Babanina M.Yu., Kitura Ye.M., Tkachenko M.V., Ky`r'yan O.A. Suchasni interakty`vni metody` v pidgotovci simejnogo likarya [Modern interactive methods in family doctor training], Bulletin of problems in biology and medicine, Poltava, 2019, vol.3(152). – pp.239-242.
5. Orlovs`ky`j V.F., Bokova S.I. Dosvid vy`kory`stannya interakty`vny`x metodiv navchannya u pidgotovci likariv-interniv zi special`nosti «Zagal`na prakty`ka - simejna medy`cy`na» [Experience in using interactive teaching methods in the preparation of interns in the specialty "General practice-family medicine"], Family Medicine, Kyiv, 2017, (3)71. - рр.77 - 79.
6. Ky`ry`chok V.A. Osobly`vosti zastosuvannya interakty`vny`x metodiv navchannya u sy`stemi pislyady`plomnoyi osvity` [Features of application of interactive teaching methods in the system of postgraduate education], Bulletin of the T.H. Shevchenko National University “Chernihiv Colehium”. Series: Pedagogical Sciences, 2016, 140. - рр.22-26.
7. Zhdan V., Babanina M, Kitura Y. Current advanced technologeies in training of a family physician Innovation in science: The challenges of our time: colelective monograph.Vol.2 [Edited by Richard Iserman, Dr.H.C., Marina Dei, phD, Assoiate professor, Olga Rudenko, Dr.Sc in PA, professor, Vitalii Lunov, PhD, Associate Professor] – Hamilton: Chicago, Illiois, USA: Accent Graphics Communications & Publishing, 2019. – pp.327-336.
8. Knyazeva O.V. Igrovye tehnologi v processe podgotovki studentov medicinskogo koledzha k rabote s pacientami pozhilogo vozrasta [Game technologists in the process of preparing medical college students to work with elderly patients], Chelovek i obrazovanie People and Education, Sankt-peterburg, 2013, 1 (34). – pp. 109-112.
9. Zolotar`ova Zh.M. Shhodo vazhly`vosti vy`vchennya py`tannya paliaty`vnoyi dopomogy` studentamy` vy`shhy`x navchal`ny`x medy`chny`x zakladiv [On the importance of studying the issue of palliative care for students of higher educational institutions], International journal «Rehabilitation and palliative medicine», Kyiv, 2017, 1-2 (5-6). – pp.34-39.
10. Gubs`ky`j Yu.I., Gojda N. G., Czarenko A. V. Rozvy`tok paliaty`vnoyi ta xospisnoyi dopomogy` v Ukrayini: organizacijni, yury`dy`chni ta medy`chni aspekty`[Development of palliative and hospice care in Ukraine: organizational, legal and medical aspects], Rehabilitation and palliative medicine, Kyiv, 2015, 1 (1). – pp. 68-74.
11. Kubaryeva I.V., Kotvicz`ka A.A., Beketova M.S. Analiz normaty`vno – pravovogo regulyuvannya nadannya paliaty`vnoyi dopomogy` v Ukrayini [Analysis of regulatory framework for palliative care in Ukraine], Scientific Journal «ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science», Kharkiv, 2017, 4 (8). – pp. 27-31.
Abstract views: 2 PDF Downloads: 2